Serves: 6-8 people
Preparation time: 90 min
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 onion, minced
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 950 ml chicken stock, heated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 handful mozzarella cheese
- 1 tub garlic herb cream cheese
- 1-1 1/2 cups flour
- 4 eggs, beaten with water
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (can substitute chopped walnuts)
- 3 tsp minced garlic (± 3 cloves)
- 1/4 tsp salt (more to taste)
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper (more to taste)
- Sauté onion in butter and olive oil, in a large pan.
- Add garlic, bay leaf and thyme. Cook for 1 min.
- Add rice and cook until slightly toasted.
- Add white wine and simmer until evaporated, then slowly add chicken stock, stirring continuously.
- Cook over low heat, stirring frequently until rice cooked through, ± 25 min.
- Remove from heat, stir in parmesan and mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Empty risotto onto a sheet pan lined with parchment and spread in an even layer.
- Allow to cool completely, then form chilled risotto into small balls with herb cream cheese placed in the centre.
- Note: Risotto can be made the day before.
- In a food processor, blend basil leaves and pine nuts.
- Add garlic and parmesan.
- While food processor is running, slowly add olive oil in a small, steady stream. Occasionally stop to scrape down sides of food processor.
- Note: Adding olive oil slowly, while food processor is running, will help it emulsify and keep olive oil from separating.
- Stir in salt and freshly ground black pepper, add more to taste.