• 250g flour
• 2 tsp (10ml) baking powder
• Generous pinch salt
• 1 cup (250ml) milk or coconut milk
• 1 cup (250ml) soy sauce
• ½ cup (125ml) water
• ½ cup (125ml) dry sherry
• ¼ cup (60 ml) brown sugar
• 10 cm knob ginger, sliced
• 4 cloves garlic, sliced
• Peel of 1 orange
• Juice of 2 oranges
• 2 whole chillies
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 3 star anise
• Salt and milled pepper
• 1kg beef short rib
• 1 bunch spring onions, sliced
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add milk, and bring the dough together. The dough should be sticky, but manageable – if needed, add more flour or a little water.
- Knead for about 3 minutes. Rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into golf ball size on a lightly floured surface.
- Flatten balls in the palm of your hand, roll into discs and fold over.
- Place on a piece of baking paper, and pop into a steamer.
- Steam buns for 12-15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Mix all ingredients together and pour over beef.
- Cover and roast in a preheated oven at 160°C for about 3 hours.
- Serve beef sliced in buns with shredded spring onion, coriander and chilli.