Serves: 4 people
Preparation time: 90 min
- 2 small / 1 large duck
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 6 rashers rindless back bacon, chopped
- 250 g portobellini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 1/4 cup port
- 410 g tin pitted black cherries
- 1 pkt ready-made puff pastry
- flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Prick duck skin all over with fork. Cook for 30 min per 500 g.
- When cooled, cut into bite-size portions.
- Heat oil and sauté onion until transparent.
- Add bacon, mushrooms and thyme. Cook for 2 min.
- Add duck meat, chicken stock, port and cherries (including the liquid). Cook for 5 min.
- Spoon mixture into 4 individual dishes. Allow to cool.
- On floured surface, roll out pastry and cut out shapes slightly larger than the dishes (to extend slightly over sides of dish).
- Brush with beaten egg and seal edges with fork.
- Bake ± 30 min, until pastry is golden.