- 855g cake flour
- 1tsp cream of tartar
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1tsp salt
- ½tsp fine cloves
- 1tsp powdered ginger
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 560g granulated sugar
- 250ml cold butter
- 250ml fat (holsum)
- 30ml brandy
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 egg whites
- 700g icing sugar
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp glycerine
- Food colouring gels (red, blue, yellow and black)
- 450g icing sugar, sifted
- 45ml liquid glucose
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 10-20ml lemon juice, strained
- 100g food colouring
- Corn starch
- 100g granulated sugar
- 100g clear corn syrup
- 33g water
- 33g orange food colouring
- Orange extract/essence
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Sift all dry ingredients (except sugar) twice.
- Add sugar to dry ingredients. Combine mixture using a hand whisk.
- Coarsely grate butter and fat.
- Rub grated butter and fat into dry ingredients.
- Lightly whisk together the brandy and eggs.
- Add egg mixture to dough to form a firm dough. Don’t over mix.
- Place in fridge for 15 minutes.
- Butter trays or spray trays with non-stick spray.
- Remove dough from fridge.
- Roll out between parchment papers to 3mm thick.
- Cut out shapes and place on greased trays.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
- Beat the egg whites until very frothy.
- Gradually beat in half the sugar using a wooden spoon.
- Add the lemon juice, glycerine and half the remaining sugar. Beat very well until smooth and very white.
- Gradually beat in enough of the remaining sugar to give soft peaks.
- Cover bowl with a damp cloth and leave for as long as possible.
- Icing is now ready and can be thickened or thinned down.
- Colour as required.
- Remember to wrap icing in cling wrap. Wind ends of cling wrap and then place the icing (in the cling wrap) into a piping bag.
- Snip off the end of the cling wrap to expose the icing.
- Sift icing sugar into medium bowl.
- Make a well in the middle.
- Mix together glucose, egg white and 10ml of lemon juice.
- Add liquid mixture to icing sugar.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Flour hands with corn flour.
- Knead and mix fondant to right consistency.
- Colour as required.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup and water.
- Heat the mixture over medium-high heat until 143-148°C.
- Spray a cookie sheet lightly with non-stick spray.
- Stir in a few drops of food colouring and flavouring extract.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour the hot sugar onto the greased cookie sheet into desired moulds.
- Leave it to cool at room temperature until it is completely hardened.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.