- 350g plain flour
- 55g unsalted butter
- 55g pork lard
- 185g granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1tsp baking powder
- 15ml warm milk
- 30ml muscat/sweet wine
- Pinch salt
- ½tsp ground cloves
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- ½tsp ground ginger
- ¼tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 orange, zest of, finely grated
- 2 egg whites
- 300g icing sugar
- ½tsp tartaric acid
- Warm brown
- Gold chocolate lustre
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (fan).
- Cream the butter, lard and sugar.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Slightly warm the milk and add the baking powder.
- Add to the mixture.
- Add the wine, salt, spices and zest, and mix thoroughly.
- Add flour, and mix. Roll into ball, wrap in cling film and rest in fridge.
- Roll out dough to +/- 3mm thick. Cut out shapes (sun, animals and trees).
- Place on baking sheets.
- Bake for +/-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- While this is baking, make the royal icing.
- Put eggs into mixing bowl and mix at low speed.
- Add tartaric acid.
- Very slowly add icing sugar until peaky.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.