- 2 cups cake flour
- ½tsp baking soda
- ½tsp cream of tartar
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- ½tsp ground ginger
- ½tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 110g chopped almonds
- ½ cup chilled butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 egg whites
- 400g icing sugar
- 3tbsp boiling water
- Food colouring (grey, pale blue, green, red, yellow, black, white and blue)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Sift flour and baking soda, cream of tartar and spices.
- Add brown sugar and chopped almonds.
- Rub in butter until well combined.
- Add beaten eggs and mix well.
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
- Lightly beat egg whites in a bowl.
- Sift in icing sugar, small amounts at a time, while whisking.
- Keep adding icing sugar until a thick paste forms.
- Use a little boiling water if the paste becomes too thick.
- Divide into separate amounts for the separate colours.
- Pipe onto biscuits as desired.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.