• Olive oil, for frying
• 1 onion, sliced
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 fresh bay leaf (or 2 dried)
• 4 red and/or yellow peppers, diced
• 4 ripe tomatoes, diced (or 1 can chopped)
• 1 tbsp (15ml) tomato paste
• 2 tbsp (30ml) balsamic vinegar
• ½ cup (125ml) white wine or water
• 1 packet (500g) ostrich or beef mince
• 1 onion, grated
• 2 baby marrows, grated
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2 tbsp (30ml) chopped coriander
• 1-2 red chillies, seeded and finely sliced
• Oil, for frying
• Handful chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Fry onion until golden. Add garlic, bay and peppers, and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining peperonata ingredients, cover and simmer for 15 minutes (or until peppers have softened). Set aside.
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a bowl, and roll into golf ball-sized portions.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, and fry meatballs until golden brown and cooked through (about 6 minutes).
- Serve with peperonata and cauliflower rice, and scatter with parsley.