• 6 large tomatoes
• Oil, for frying
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• ½ cup (125ml) chopped chorizo or bacon bits
• 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
• 1 can (410 g) can baked beans, or chilli-flavoured baked beans if you prefer to skip the red chilli
• Handful fresh basil or parsley
• Salt and milled pepper
• 6 small eggs
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Slice tops off tomatoes. Scoop out tomato flesh (you won’t need it in this recipe, but can use it in a pasta sauce, stew or soup).
- Heat oil, and fry onion until glossy. Add sausage or bacon and stir-fry for about 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in baked beans, season and cook to heat through. Remove from heat, and stir in herbs.
- Arrange tomatoes in a baking dish or in separate ramekins (to catch the juices).
- Spoon bean mixture into tomatoes – only to about ⅔-full, as you must leave space for the egg! If you have extra mixture, you can serve as is or simply hollow out more tomatoes.
- Break an egg into each tomato, and cover with foil.
- Bake until egg has set, for about 15-20 minutes or until white has set but yolk is still slightly runny.