• 3 tbsp (45ml) brown sugar
• About 1 cup cayenne (long) chillies
• ½ cup birds eye chillies
• 12 cloves garlic
• ½ cup (125ml) white vinegar
• ½ cup (125ml) water
• ⅓ cup (80ml) vegetable oil
• 1 tsp (5ml) chilli flakes
• 2 tsp (10ml) cumin seeds
• 1 tsp (5ml) mustard seeds
• 1 tsp (5ml) turmeric
• 2-3 tsp (10-15 ml) English mustard powder
• 2 large cloves garlic
• 1 tbsp (15ml) grated ginger
• 500g (about 3) brinjals, diced into 5cm cubes
• 1 cup (250ml) white spirit vinegar
• 1 tsp (5ml) salt
• ¾ cup (180ml) sugar
- Place all ingredients into a pot.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until garlic and chillies are soft and liquid has reduced by about half.
- Blend until smooth.
- Return to pot, and thin with water to achieve desired consistency. Cook to heat through and pour into sterilised jars.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry spices for a few seconds.
- Add garlic, ginger and brinjal, and fry for a few minutes.
- Add vinegar, salt and sugar. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until mixture has reduced and sauce has thickened.
- Spoon into sterilised jars, and seal.