Serves: 4 people
Preparation time: 60 min
- 1 large sirloin steak
- baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp asparagus
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- handful fresh rosemary & thyme sprigs
- 250 ml fresh cream
- 50 g butter
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 350 g smooth cream cheese
- 1 tbsp garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp black pepper, ground
- 2 tbsp biltong shavings
- 1 cup sliced biltong
- Place whole, unpeeled baby potatoes in pot with salt and enough water to submerge potatoes. Boil until al dente, remove from heat and set aside.
- Biltong sauce: Sauté garlic and butter in medium heat saucepan. Add fresh cream.
- Once heated, add parmesan, cream cheese and biltong shavings. Stir gently, low-med heat 10-15 min, allow to thicken. If too thick, add milk to loosen, if too loose add 1 tbsp flour. Set aside.
- Place boiled baby potatoes into deep fryer. Fry until skin is crispy. Remove, place onto paper towel, season with salt and pepper.
- Pan sear sirloin steak in olive oil with garlic, rosemary and thyme.
- Cooking time: 3 min each side for rare. About 5 min each side for med-to-well. About 7 min each side for well done. Once cooked, allow steak to rest on foil for a few min before serving.
- While steak rests, in same pan used to fry steaks, sauté asparagus about 5 min, until cooked but still crunchy.
- Place steak on plate and cover in creamy biltong sauce. Place biltong slices over sauce. On the side, place fried and seasoned baby potatoes accompanied with the sautéed asparagus.