Serves: 4 people
Preparation time: 45 min
- 2 cups cous cous
- 8 portobello mushrooms
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 200 g feta cheese
- 250 g bacon, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g butter
- 1 cup pomegranate rubies
- 1 cup herbs
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, left whole to flavour
- micro herbs, to garnish
- Place couscous in airtight container with 3 cups luke-warm water. Add pinch salt and pepper and seal container. Leave 45 min to soften.
- Pan fry diced bacon in oil until cooked. Add crushed garlic and allow to cook until bacon is crispy.
- Remove small amount bacon and set aside for garnish.
- Mix balsamic vinegar and sugar in saucepan, low-med heat, about 20 min.
- Reduce mixture to half original amount, with syrup-like consistency.
- Throw soaked couscous into pan with bacon and garlic and stir-fry lightly, until couscous gets some colour.
- Add 1/2 feta. Add herbs and spices to taste.
- Finally, add pomegranate rubies. Remove from heat.
- Pan fry portobello mushrooms in butter, dried herbs and garlic cloves.
- To serve, create bed of fresh baby spinach, drizzle over balsamic reduction.
- Onto spinach, place 2 upturned portobello mushrooms.
- Spoon couscous stir-fry mixture directly into mushrooms (as if to stuff them).
- Sprinkle bacon (saved for garnish) and 1/2 feta directly over stuffed mushrooms.
- Garnish with micro herbs and serve.