- 3ea. Eggs
- 100g Caster sugar
- 75g Cake flour
- 25g Cocoa powder
- 15ml Hot water
- 60g Extra cocoa to dust
- 170g Egg whites (5 - 6)
- 255g Caster Sugar
- 1,5g Salt -1,5g Cream of tartar
- 1ea. Vanilla paste
- 500g Dark chocolate 70%
- Preheat oven to 220C. Grease and line a Swiss roll tin.
- Beat sugar and eggs until ribbon stage.
- Sift together the flour and cocoa powder.
- Fold in half flour mix into eggs.
- Fold in the rest of flour mix completely and stir in the hot water.
- Pour in prepared tin, smooth out and bake for 7 -9 minutes.
- Prepare a dish towel, lay flat and dust with cocoa
- While hot, roll the cake in the dishtowel and leave to cool.
- Fill a large pot with water about 5cm up.
- Place a ring of crumpled foil in the pot.
- Bring the water to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Combine egg whites, sugar, salt, vanilla and cream of tartar.
- Set over ring and mix together gently until it reaches 79C.
- Transfer to stand mixer and whisk on high until stiff peaks.
Tempered Chocolate Glaze:
- Melt 2/3 chocolate over pot of simmering water until it reaches 47’C.
- Remove from heat, then add the last 1/3 of chocolate.
- Drop temperature to 25’C.
- Place over heat until reaches 29’C.
- Then cover entire Swiss roll with glazed chocolate.
- Pipe with small tip, desired patterns on baking paper with melted choc.
- Leave to set in fridge until required
- Unroll cake and fill with Swiss meringue and roll.
- Trim the edges to create even sides.
- Set on wire rack and cover entire cake with chocolate glaze.
- Pipe meringue in rosettes on top and top with chocolate decoration.
- Leave to set.