• 2kg white-fleshed sustainable fish
• Basil leaves
• 60ml fish sauce
• 3 tbsp (45ml) fresh lime or lemon juice
• 1 tbsp (15ml) brown sugar
• 1 fat clove garlic, crushed
• 5cm knob fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
• 2 long red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
• ½ cucumber, cut into thin matchsticks
• 2 carrots, cut into thin matchsticks
• 1 red or yellow pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
• 4 spring onions, sliced
• 125ml chopped fresh coriander
• Sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Score fish on both sides, and tuck a few basil leaves into the cuts.
- Loosely wrap fish in 2 large sheets of foil or baking paper. Seal edges, but leave enough room above the fish for air to circulate during cooking.
- Place fish on a baking tray and bake for 30-50 minutes, depending on the size of the fish.
- Bring fish sauce, lemon, sugar, garlic, ginger and chilli to the boil, and immediately remove from heat.
- Pour hot dressing over vegetables and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Remove fish from oven and transfer to a platter.
- Spoon vegetables and dressing over fish, and serve with a handful of coriander and a drizzle of sesame oil.