Serves: 4 people
Preparation time: 3 1/2 hrs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 onions, roughly cut into chunks
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp coffee
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 12 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 stem thyme
- 4 x 1.5 kg lamb shanks
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 tbsp anchovies
- 1 stem rosemary
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 leek, cut into 3 cm pieces
- pinch Himalayan sea salt
- Preheat oven to 150 C.
- Heat olive oil over med-high heat in roasting pan.
- Roll shanks in flour. Must be well coated, with excess flour shaken off.
- Sear shanks in roasting pan, until browned on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add tomatoes, anchovies, leek, celery, peanut butter, carrot, onion, coffee, honey and garlic to roasting pan.
- Stir constantly for ± 5 min.
- Season with bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme and rosemary.
- Add chicken stock and red wine. Increase heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add Himalayan sea salt to taste, then add lamb shanks to top the vegetables.
- Cover pan with heavy duty aluminium foil, place in oven.
- Bake approx. 2-3 hrs, until meat tender and falls off the bone.